RDU Terminal 2

RDU Terminal 2

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Travel Story – Efficiency Everywhere

Location: Honolulu

I recently spent the week in Honolulu on business. I shared my hotel with a ton of Japanese tourists. One thing that I noticed was that they would always push the "close" button on the elevator after somebody boarded. Doing so saves a couple of seconds waiting for the door to close automatically. I thought this was a little too efficient, but not a big deal.

I appreciated that spirit of efficiency when I boarded my flight from Honolulu to Tokyo.  As you might expect the passengers were mostly Japanese.  We loaded a new 787 “Dreamliner” in 15 minutes, with no pushing or fighting over bin space. Having been on a lot of flights over the years, I found this achievement to be astounding.

Admittedly it is a dual aisle plane with plenty of overhead space, but a big part of the quick loading was the politeness and efficiency of the Japanese travelers. This was a big contrast with my experience on Qatar Airways.


No comments:

Post a Comment